So, it’s late in the evening and I get it into my thick head that I need to get on with that project that’s been banging around in my head for a while… installing MT 4.24 on my business server. I’ve been messing around with it personally for a while… but now that I need to support myself through university I need to lift my game.
I wasn’t nervous, I’ve installed Movable Type (hereinafter refererred to as MT) a bunch of times and had no problems. It’s as easy as A) set up your MYSQL database, B) upload your files via FTP and C) complete the wizard forms with the correct values and watch it do its thing.
This time wasn’t so easy. I did all the things I’ve done before and got this error message.
Movable Type was unable to locate your ‘mt-static’ directory. Please configure the ‘StaticFilePath’ configuration setting in your mt-config.cgi file, and create a writable ‘support’ directory underneath your ‘mt-static’ directory.
Now I will maintain, until I’m blue in the face that I had all my settings correct. If I directed my browser to http://www.as-scene.com.au/mt-static I got the following message…
mt-static – OK
So there seemed to me to be no reason that it wouldn’t work. I checked and re-checked the mt-config.cgi file manually and still no joy.
There are a bunch of discussions on the MT forums and while the problem seemed clear, MT wasn’t finding the static file, the solution was different for everyone, and none of those solutions worked for me…
I decided to re upload the whole mt-static folder via FTP and it was then that things went from bad to worse. All of a sudden the whole site lost access to ALL styles. As in, if I navigated to the log in page I was greeted with a white page and a simple login box. None of the familar blue, white and black styles. Again, it was clear that the installation wasn’t finding MT-Static but I thought I must have broken it good.
I laid off the install for a while to get some sleep, but I DM’d another MT enthusiast via twitter a bit of an SOS for help… after transferring files he indicated that the actual main styles for the site appeared to be missing from their proper directory (folder) and uttered this profound statement…
I have problems in the past with my FTP producing 0kb files or forgetting to upload it.
BINGO! For some reason Cyberduck had zeroed a bunch of files. I did what amounted to another full FTP upload of both the cgi-bin files and the mt-static files and this time it worked a charm.
This is the first time in MT4 I’ve had such problems, and realistically, I think it comes down to me doing such jobs when I’m tired… I probably would have figured out the issue if I was fresher! I could probably have also figured out how to fix it if I’d thought carefully and methodically about it. However, one of the things I love about the MT community is that there is always someone ready to offer a solution, even if the answer’s not on the boards.
As it is, I’ve spent the evening updating this blog on that very installation… I guess you have proof it’s back in business… particular thanks to @otherniceman